Southern California Criminal Defense Trial & Appellate Attorney
Correen Ferrentino is the founding and managing attorney at Ferrentino & Associates, Inc. She is an experienced trial attorney with over 22 years of experience in state and federal court (more than 50 jury trials and over 500 court trials and evidentiary hearings) with a focus on white collar litigation and major criminal trials.
Ferrentino is also an accomplished attorney in appeals and writs of habeas corpus with three recent life case reversals. She is also an accomplished trial attorney, who recently won a reversal in a homicide habeas evidentiary hearing then re-tried the case and the jury acquitted her client who was released after nine years in prison. She is a certified criminal law specialist by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization.
As a former public defender for 10 years, Ferrentino anticipates the arguments that a district attorney will make, and skillfully rebuts them. She is an expert in dealing with prosecutors, evaluating the pros and cons of every case, and plotting the best course of action.
She is admitted to practice in:
- California state courts
- The U.S. District Court for the Central, Southern, Eastern, and Northern District of California
- The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- The United States Supreme Court
Ferrentino has tried over 50 jury trials cases and has had hundreds of cases dismissed outright. She exclusively practices criminal law, including State and Federal trials, writs, and appeals. Prior to her tenure as a Deputy Public Defender, she was an associate attorney of Stokke & Riddet and the Law Offices of William Kopeny from 1994-1997. She provided assistance for a variety of federal and state matters during this time with these prominent criminal attorneys.
From 1997-2006, she tried over 45 jury trials as a deputy with the Orange County Public Defenders Office, including cases involving armed robbery, burglary, assault with a deadly weapon, and more. She also handled hundreds of matters that were dismissed due to her preparation and motion work, including a felony DUI / vehicular manslaughter charge that had complex accident reconstruction issues.
A Track Record of Success
Ferrentino also spent time cross-examining experts in the mental health field and two years working with drug offenders in various drug courts. Since establishing her own practice, she now handles misdemeanor and felony trial work, motions, appeals, and writs in both state and federal court.
Ferrentino’s two most recent complex trials ended in hung juries—one of which included a multiple defendant Mexican mafia RICO gang trial in federal court where all the other defendants were convicted. Another involved a kidnap for rape case where the client was facing life in prison.
Her philosophy is that every client deserves the utmost individual attention and she will take as much time as is necessary in order to achieve the best result possible.
Education & Memberships
Ferrentino earned her BS in Psychology from the University of California, Irvine in 1986 and went on to earn her Juris Doctorate from Loyola Law School in 1994. While at Loyola, Ferrentino clerked for the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office and worked as an extern for the Honorable Sheila Sonenshine, Ret. in the California Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Division Three. As an extern, Ferrentino Assisted in drafting two published opinions and learned how the court operates from an insider’s perspective. This experience has proven invaluable in her appellate and writ practice.
She is a member of the prestigious Criminal Justice Act Trial Panel and Capital Habeas Panel, whose members are appointed by the Ninth Circuit of Appeals. She is also appointed as a panel member for the California Appellate Project and Appellate Defenders, Inc., both of which are state organizations that handle appeals for indigent criminal defendants.
Correen Ferrentino Career Highlights:
- Certified Criminal Law Specialist by the California State Bar
- Martindale-Hubbell Preeminent Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence for 2017
- Super Lawyers® list from 2014-2016.
- Over 75 jury trials and 500 court and evidentiary hearings in federal and state courts
- 51 Jury trials: Fraud, Homicide, RICO, Sexual Assault, Gangs, assorted other cases with over 75% ending in acquittals or hung juries.
- 500+ Court Trials: Criminal, Juvenile, administrative, and conservatorship.
- Thousands of additional cases dismissed prior to trial in federal and state court, in addition to pre-indictment representation resulting in a “no-filing” decision in complex and serious federal investigations
- Represented a business owner in the largest federal investigation of theft of personal identifying information in the world and obtained a non-prosecution agreement from the Unite States Attorney’s office
- Co-counsel in a death eligible RICO federal trial matter in the U.S. District Court.
- Complex Federal RICO Trial including U.S. v. Rincon—Five month, 11 co-defendant trial tried before the Honorable Judge David O. Carter
- Initial 2008 trial resulted in a hung jury
- 2010 retrial resulted in a hung jury of the RICO charges, not guilty of the VICAR charges, and guilty only of felony possession of ammunition. Defendant avoided multiple life sentences and received six years.
- 12 Writs of Habeas Corpus pending in State and Federal Court, including life cases and special circumstances cases.
- Achieved reversal of conviction in two separate life conviction cases in 2010 and 2011 in the Orange County Superior Court after an evidentiary hearing in habeas matters.
- Achieved reversal of life sentence in a 2012 appeal in the California Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Division Three.
- 50+ appeals in state and federal court, and certiorari petitions to the U.S. Supreme Court
- In excess of 1,000 written pretrial motions, including: suppression, discovery, confidential informant disclosure law enforcement personnel records, speedy trial, dismissal for prosecutorial misconduct.